I found a recipe for Chicken Avocado Parmigiana on Pinterest and had to try it. The chicken is baked, not fried, without losing any flavor. I did a little improvisation, and it turned out great.
I realize my picture isn't the prettiest, and I should have made the avocado smaller. To be honest I wasn't even planning on putting this on the blog until it was done. It doesn't matter because it was delcious!
- 2 chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- 2 teaspoon coconut oil
- 3/4 cup panko
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/2 cup pizza or mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place parchment paper on baking sheet, set aside.
- If chicken breast is larger than 1/4 inch thick after being halved, place in plastic bag and pound till correct size. I use the back of a frying pan. I really need to purchase a meat mallet.
- Combine panko, breadcrumbs, and italian seasoning in a bowl.
- Melt coconut oil in a small skillet, then add breadcrumb mixture. Stir often until lightly browned.
- Place bread crumbs on a plate, beaten eggs in a bowl, and coconut flour in a separate plate.
- Salt and pepper both sides of chicken breast.
- Coat chicken with flour making sure to shake off excess, dip chicken into egg, then evenly coat chicken with breadcrumb mixture and gently place on baking sheet.
- Repeat with rest of chicken breasts.
- Place baking sheet with chicken in the oven for 10 minutes. Turn chicken about halfway through.
- Remove from oven and spoon marinara sauce evenly over each breast. Add sliced avocados, then sprinkle cheese. Feel free to add as much cheese as desired.
- Place back in oven for about 5-10 minutes until chicken is throughly cooked and cheese is melted.