I received this product for free from the sponsor of the Moms MeetSM program, May Media Group LLC, who received it directly from the manufacturer. As a Moms MeetSM blogger, I agreed to use this product and post my opinion on my blog. My opinions do not necessarily reflect the opinions of May Media Group LLC. or the manufacturer of the product.
Salad is a staple in my life, minus when family is in town, but sometimes it can get boring. I still crave my favorite not-so-good-for-you foods. All. The. Time. Whoever said the cravings stop if you only eat healthy foods lied. Big time. Luckily, Fresh Express launched the Salad Swap website and app to promote their 30 Day Salad Swap.
The recipes are inspired by our favorite high-calorie foods like fried chicken, alfredo, and shrimp scampi, and recreated into low-calorie salads. It’s an ingenious way to eat and feel better without feeling like you’re sacrificing.
I decided to use the Grilled Cheese Salad Swap recipe inspired by my beloved grilled cheese and tomato soup into a salad.
I finished every single bite. I’m talking all the lettuce from the bag not the bowl. It was that good. I ran out of the Spring Mix as suggested, so I replaced it with a bag of Italian. I also used less dressing and more sundried tomatoes because I felt like it. The sundried tomatoes really made the dish come together along with the grilled cheese croutons. Delish!
1 bag Fresh Express Spring Mix
4 slices sprouted-whole grain bread (you can also use whole wheat bread)
4 slices (4 oz) of reduced-fat cheddar
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes packed in extra virgin olive oil, drained and rinsed, chopped
spray butter (2 second spray)
1/3 cup your favorite light balsamic vinaigrette
For the croutons:
1. Place two slices of cheese on a slice of bread. Top cheese with another slice of bread to form a sandwich. Repeat to form another sandwich.
2. Then, spray both outer slices with spray butter.
3. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot, add sandwich. Cook until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes, and then flip and cook another 3-5 minutes.
4. When finished, carefully place the grilled cheese on a cutting board and let it rest for approximately 5 minutes.
5. Then, carefully cut off the crust. Discard the crust and cut the grilled cheese into large dices (the size of a crouton).
For the salad:
1. Place greens and sundried tomatoes in a bowl.
2. Toss with vinaigrette.
3. When dressing is fully incorporated, portion into 4 salad bowls. Top each salad with grilled cheese croutons.
The free Salad Swap website and app are filled with recipes for salad swaps and the apps has a progress tracker, motivation, inspiration, and coupons for Fresh Express salads. The app is completely free!
Get started using Fresh Express salad coupons found at www.greenmomsmeet.com/freshexpress.
A big thank you to Moms Meet for introducing me to the Fresh Express Salad Swap!