It’s that time of the year when we all gather outside and grill! One of my most beloved chicken recipes has to be Huli Huli Chicken. Huli Huli literally translates to “turn turn” in Hawaiian. It’s a delicious recipe that reminds me of my childhood. You can’t help but enjoy summer when you smell this cooking on the grill.
|The chicken cooking on the grill……it smells so good guys!|
- 4-5 pounds of chicken thighs (You can use chicken breast but I think thighs are more wallet friendly and don’t dry out like breast can)
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup soy sauce (or as us Islanders and Japanese call it: shoyu)
- 1/2 plus 1/4 cups of brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons chicken broth
- 2 inch piece of ginger, grated
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- Combine all ingredients except for the chicken in a medium size bowl. Mix well.
- Place chicken evenly in a deep dish
- Poke chicken with a fork to help marinade seep in
- Pour marinade over chicken to cover. If you have any extra marinade place in a bowl and refrigerate. You can use this to baste. Just make sure you don’t use the marinade that already touched the raw chicken!
- Cover and put in refrigerator overnight or 24 hours, if possible
- Cook chicken on an outdoor grill
- Don’t forget to Turn Turn your chicken often!
|Enjoy your taste of the islands!|